Admission criteria in Bulgaria: to get admission in Bulgarian universities, the admission criteria vary with the institution and the course. In most Bulgarian universities, the admission is based on application file documents, without entrance exam. The only exam is for those prospective European students in Bulgaria who need to study on Bulgarian scholarship or to pay a small part of full tuition fee.
After the positive university decision, the application file is followed to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Science which issue the acceptance letter (certificate stating that the applicant is admitted as a student in Bulgarian university). This letter is also important for those who need to apply for Bulgarian student visa.
International students who do not speak Bulgarian want to study in Bulgarian, or those who want to study in English but do not have a good command of English, are admitted to Bulgarian university on condition they first undergo one year preparatory course of respective language.
General admission criteria.
To get into high education in Bulgaria, the prospective student must fulfil preliminary criteria or Prerequisite requirements. Those criteria depend on the program and courses.
General application and admission requirements for Bachelor’s Degree Programmes:
- Applicant students should have completed secondary education. They should be eligible to continue their studies in institutions of higher education (university)in the country where the diplomas of secondary education were issued.
- The grades in the applicant’s diploma for secondary education relevant to the major applied for should be not less than 62% of the maximum grade in accordance to the grading system in the country where the applicant has completed secondary education.
General application and admission requirements for Master’s Degree Programmes:
- Applicant students should have at least a bachelor degree of higher education (BA/BSc or MA/MSc).
- The average grade of the diploma of higher education (BA/BSc) is not less than the equivalent of Good 4 according to the Bulgarian system of grades or 72 % of the maximum possible marks.
General application and admission requirements for PhD or postgraduate study:
- Applicant students should have a master degree of higher education (MA/MSc).
- The average grade of the diploma of higher education (MA/MSc) is not less than the equivalent of Good 4 according to the Bulgarian system of grades. In Bulgarian grade system, the maximum marks are 6.
As with similar systems around the world, entry into a master program requires a previously completed bachelor program in Bulgaria or abroad, just as a doctorate requires a completed master degree. Qualifications are evaluated and accredited through the National Evaluation and Accreditation Agency at the Council of Ministers.