Bulgarian Student Visa: the second step to study in Bulgaria, after getting acceptance letter, is to apply for Bulgarian Student Visa (D-type Visa) valid from 3 to 6 months. Bulgarian student Visa can be obtained from any Bulgarian Diplomatic Mission abroad and it is required to all non EU/EEA students in Bulgaria.
Required documents for Bulgarian student visa application:
- Photocopy of Passport valid at least for one yea (the first page of the foreign travel document);
- Acceptance letter (certificate stating that the applicant is admitted as a student in Bulgarian university plus the Certificate from the University stating that the applicant will be accommodated in the student hostel);
- Medical insurance valid for the EU member states for the whole period of the trip, covering all costs for repatriation and for urgent medical care and emergency hospital treatment for the period of the stay indicated in the visa.
- Bank document issued on the name of the applicant to prove that tuition fee has been paid (in generally for half of annually tuition fee).
- Colourful photograph 3,5 cm х 4,5 cm against Wight background (the same holds for a child entered in the passport) – a full-face photo with clear, large enough face which takes up 70-80% of the photo; eyes must be red; the following is ineligible: photos with dark glasses; non-professional photos or cut out of amateur photos
- Tickets (original and copy) or ticket booking confirmation or financial means
- For under-aged children travelling without their parents or trustees the following documents shall be submitted:
a. Copy of the birth certificate
b. Original and photocopy of a power of attorney notary certified by both parents/ trustees or by one parent trustee that they agree their child to travel unaccompanied by them.
- Photocopy of the last Bulgarian and Schengen visas or visas for the UK and the US, if any.
Even if visas are not required by visitors from same countries for visit up to 90 days, all students from non-EU / EEA and Switzerland must have entry visa to study in Bulgaria.
After the arrival in Bulgaria, the applicant with Bulgarian student visa must apply for a long-term stay (residency permit) in Bulgaria, valid for one year maxim and renewable every year for the whole period of the studies. Application for residency permit is only be submitted in Bulgaria after final registration at University.
UK, Suisse and all EU/EEA students do not need visa to study in Bulgaria. However, after their arrival in Bulgaria, the must register with the police, after which they will be issued with a national identity card and temporary residence lasting up to five years.