University preparatory courses in Bulgaria are organised by most of universities or by special colleges. University preparatory courses offered in Bulgaria are English and Bulgarian. University preparatory courses are designed for students who require additional knowledge of language of instruction (English / Bulgarian) or who need to review basic sciences subjects for university studies.
Bulgarian preparatory course is organised for medical, technical, economic, art, humanitarian, etc. studies. Students study not only Bulgarian language, but also, major subjects for further university study.
English preparatory course is organised for medical, technical, economic, etc. studies. The preparatory course for medical students includes general English, introduction to medical terminology, biology, chemistry, physics and anatomy.
Who need preparatory course?
- Citizens of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, who would like to benefit of financial assistant from Bulgarian Government, must learn Bulgarian language because most of entrance exams are done in national language;
- International students without a good command of English;
- International students with a good command of English but who wont to have a solid base to start university study by reviewing the fundamental subject for future university program ( ex. biology, anatomy, chemistry and physics for medical study.) before they start medical university study;
- International students who would like to study in Bulgarian language in Bulgaria;
- International students who would like to undergo postgraduate specialisation in medicine. All postgraduate specialisation are conducted in national language;
- Students who would like to follow university program, which is not available in international language;
- Students who fall English entrance test to study in English to Bulgarian university.
In Bulgaria, at the successful completion of one year university preparatory courses, the student is given a certificate giving him the right to undergo university study in Bulgaria without additional test (for the same program). The exception is for those students who have to participate to entrance exam in order to have Bulgarian scholarship (EU/EEA citizens!).
The duration of the preparatory course is eight to nine months, starting in October each year.